Hydration Tips for All Ages
Ever wondered what does a plant, an animal and you have in common? Each one of you heavily depends on water growth and sustenance. Did you know that around 60 percent of the body is made up of water, and around 71 percent of Earth’s surface is covered by water? It goes to show just how much water plays a role in our lives. But maybe it is the omnipresent nature of water that makes people overlook the value of drinking water every day and places it at the bottom of everyone’s list of priorities. Our bodies can go weeks without consuming food but will succumb within days due to the lack of enough water. That is because your body can transform your stored fat into energy when you don’t eat but there is no replacement in case of your body lacking water.
Drinking water, or staying adequately hydrated, is vital for our good health and survival. Considering our bodies are made up of about 60% water, being dehydrated can begin to affect us both physically and mentally. Even just a 2% reduction in water levels in the human body can lead to a 20% decrease in mental and physical performance. What is more, if you are ever feeling cranky, just grab that bottle of packaged drinking water and drink up - it will instantly improve your mood!
Just like a machine cannot function properly without being well-oiled, a person cannot function properly without enough drinking water. Water is one of the essentials required for life to sustain itself. Drinking water can help keep your body fit and your mind healthy. It can keep numerous illnesses and ailments at bay by building your immune system and maintaining the regular functions of the various organs. What’s more, drinking water gets rid of toxins that can damage the gut and cause inflammation and irritation.
During a health crisis such as the COVID-19 pandemic, drinking water is more important. While it is not a cure to treat the virus, drinking water can help you detoxify the body of any unwanted germs and bacteria. It also plays a vital role in building and maintaining a strong immune system.
Here are some mineral water benefits:
- Helps to maintain glowing and healthy skin.
- Maintains the balance of body fluids.
- Can control calories and help you reduce weight.
- Keeps dehydration at bay.
- Energizes your muscles and keeps you active.
- Regulates healthy bowel function.
- Kidneys and liver are functioning properly.
- Joints and bones stay lubricated.
- Increases focus and concentration.
- Builds your immune system.
- For children under the age of 8, 5 glasses of water every day is a must.
- For children between the ages of 9 and 13, 7 glasses of water (girls) and 8 glasses of water of water (boys) is a must.
- For teenagers between the ages of 14 and 18, 8 glasses of water (girls) and 10 glasses of water (boys) is a must.
- For young adults between the ages of 16-30, 12 glasses of fluid (men) and 10 glasses of fluid (women) per day is a must.
- For adults between the ages of 30-50, 8 glasses of water every day is a must.
- For seniors above the age of 50, 8 glasses of water every day is a must.
Young or old, drinking water is important for everyone and acts as the cornerstone of our lives. Water is not only necessary for your daily intake but also for your overall physical and mental health too. Simple tricks such always having a bottle of water on you or ensuring you purchase packaged drinking water when you are travelling, can prove to be incredibly beneficial in the long run.